Chowan Discovery’s Presentations and Public Activities of 2018
- Haiti and the Civil War lecture at the Washington DC chapter of the Association for the Study of African American Life and History, January 28.
- Panelist: “Telling/Sharing Military Stories” at a regional conferenceof the Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society (AAHGS), Laurel MD, February 3.
- Haiti and the Civil War lecture at the National Park Service Center, in Herndon VA, February 7.
- An Army of Educators lecture, Brown Memorial AME Church, Washington DC, February 25.
- Three offerings at the 2018 Critical Mixed Race Studies Conference, University of Maryland, College Park MD:
a. Displayed exhibit, A Mixed-Race Community’s Civil War, March 1-3.
b. Sponsored and presented a panel including a CDG paper: Pleasant Plains School’s 150 Years, March 3.
c. Hosted tour of names and stories for Winton Triangle soldiers on the wall of the African American Civil War Memorial in Washington DC.
- An Army of Educators lecture, Central Maryland Chapter of AAHGS, Columbia MD, March 10.
- A Winton Triangle Family and Agriculture lecture, North Carolina A&T University, Greensboro NC, April 12.
- Dedication of Chowan Discovery-nominated North Carolina Highway Historical Marker, the North Carolina Colored State Fair at Shaw University in Raleigh NC, April 13.
- Haiti and the Civil War lecture, Mt. Sinai Baptist Church, Como NC, April 14.
- An Army of Educators lecture, Greenbelt Library, Greenbelt MD as part of C.R. Gibbs’ lecture series, April 17.
- Radio interview with the Maryland Humanities Council at WYPR-FM, Baltimore MD, May 29.
- Chowan Discovery Fundraiser, June 9, Washington DC
- Hosted lecture on pre-colonial Chowanoke life by Dr. Jennifer Frick-Ruppert of Brevard College at the Winton Historical Association, Winton NC, June 19.
- Two lectures: Chowan Discovery Group’s 10 Years and The Winton Triangle’s Civil War at the Melungeon Heritage Association Conference at Big Stone Gap VA, June 21.
- Families of USCTs: Winton Triangle’s Men of Color in the Civil War lecture, North Carolina Genealogical Society 2018 Speaker’s Forum, Raleigh NC, June 23.
- Presentation of four Chowan Discovery films at the Andromeda Transcultural Health Center, Washington DC:
a. The Campaigns of Molly Hundley, October 2
b. Aunt Betty and Fort Stevens, October 5
c. The Military Road School, October 9
d. Oral Histories from the Gold Coast, October 12
- Received the Paul E. Sluby/Jean Sampson-Scott Meritorious Achievement Award from the AAHGS annual conference, King of Prussia PA, October 13.
- Sponsor and panelist of session at the DC History Conference, University of the District of Columbia, Washington DC, November 3.
- The Winton Triangle lecture, home of Jane and Clay Claiborne, Charleston SC, November 9.
- The Winton Triangle lecture, 1750 Isle of Wight Courthouse, Smithfield VA, November 11.
- Discussion of Chowan Discovery’s work to a session hosted by Humanities DC with special guest National Endowment for the Humanities Chairman Jon Peede, Washington DC, December 4.