Founded in 1866 by its church, Pleasant Plains School was a result of the Union victory in the Civil War. Several of the church’s founders were among the builders of the first schoolhouse. In 1920, it was replaced when the Rosenwald Fund provided $350 towards the construction of the 95 year-old schoolhouse across from the current Plains Pleasant Plains Baptist Church chapel (1951). The Church and community contributed $750 and much skill and labor.
On June 18, Chowan Discovery’s Marvin T. Jones will present the school’s history at the Second National Rosenwald Schools Conference in Durham. The presentation will feature photographs and documents (including an 1880 receipt for 12 windows). While registration for the conference is required, this presentation will shown in the future. Winton’s Dr. Dudley Flood is the conference keynote speaker, and our friends Caroline Stephenson and Jochen Kustler from Como are showing their latest film about Nansemond County Training School.